Author Topic: Introducing MOFOWALLET.com  (Read 20261 times)

Dirk Diggler #75 on: February 21, 2015, 12:14:29 PM

• FIMK Staff
    • View Profile
    • Krypto Fin ry
'Tagged' simply in the way that there's a status box for each language visible for all users, informing if the status of translation is 'machine' or something more advanced.

Thats over-complicating things IMO, crypto clients (all of them) already are practically unusable for anyone without a computer science degree. Adding yet another layer of confusement to the mix is something we should fight against. Simplicity is the only way for *normal* people to ever start using the FIMK platform.

It's very impractical even, imagine the following:

I am a Chinese girl/boy and get a link send to me by a friend who found either some product in the FIMK digital goods store or who points his friends to a crowdfunding campaign which is being run on the FIMK chain (or sells tickets to his event or whatever). The first thing that user will see when clicking that link (and being directed to hosted mofowallet - soon the be renamed) is a dialog asking the user to select a language (probably with the most likely language already selected).

Now imagine the user opening hosted mofowallet on his mobile (with limited screen real estate + the most likely method of interacting with any website) and you want to show the list of available languages and on top of that with each language you want to communicate if that language is a. translated by google or b. translated by a human. My first thought: who the hell cares, why pollute the UI with even more unnecessary information, if a translation is bad anyone who speaks that language will notice immediately and after seeing the list of 64 languages will realize that most other sites have no translation at all.

When thinking of adding yet more information/confusement to the client think about what good is it to the user? What purpose does it serve him/her. I don't see how showing translation status helps the user. Added to that don't forget there are users who don't even know what machine translation is, if we do this we have yet another concept we need to explain to people.
FIMK Developer | GPG fingerprint: CEF2 7C39 43BE 6800 504E  71BC 7E87 A7B0 AC34 E2D5 | mofowallet.com | blog

Dirk Diggler #76 on: February 21, 2015, 12:29:18 PM

• FIMK Staff
    • View Profile
    • Krypto Fin ry
if we do this we have yet another concept we need to explain to people.

And in their own language.. Which leads to the chicken and egg problem.
FIMK Developer | GPG fingerprint: CEF2 7C39 43BE 6800 504E  71BC 7E87 A7B0 AC34 E2D5 | mofowallet.com | blog

id-entti-tentti #77 on: February 21, 2015, 08:07:41 PM

• Senior Fimker
    • View Profile
Good points. So maybe the conclusion is not to add (mis)communicating Bysantine General translations to the software in the first place, and instead concentrate on developing a product that communicates benevolently with at least, and to begin with, with Finnish speaking basic income receivers, and when that level is functional enough, start thinking about adding more natural languages?
FIM-K56K-6XHL-DWT8-ANWN9
NXT-73NA-CWA6-KHV5-65HPC

Dirk Diggler #78 on: February 22, 2015, 10:54:33 AM

• FIMK Staff
    • View Profile
    • Krypto Fin ry
So maybe the conclusion is not to add (mis)communicating Bysantine General translations to the software in the first place.

And thats where we disagree. Someone who does not speak English or Finnish has a better time understanding machine translated software than English or Finnish software.

and instead concentrate on developing a product that communicates benevolently with at least, and to begin with, with Finnish speaking basic income receivers, and when that level is functional enough, start thinking about adding more natural languages?

The reality is different. Although it sounds reasonable you seem to forget about the power of automation in software development. The translation system was a must have in the first place so we already needed a key/value file with keys and their corresponding English texts (since I don't speak Finnish). During the search for a i18n solution I soon came across a technique where translator API's are used to provide the grunt work (creating files for each language, creating basic translations) before the actual translating by humans starts, I figured that was a smart way of automating a large part of the required development (plus it fitted nicely with the existing build system).

So in a perfect world your order of thinking about the problems at hand sound perfectly reasonable, in practice we unfortunately just have to follow the laws of nature and go with the flow of things.

Also don't forget the reality of this matter for our friends over at NXT. It has been several times already where new features are released which could not be used because of a lacking UI (in others words client development is to complicated) I believe we solved that problem with the new mofowallet architecture (new transactions are added to the ui with 30 lines of javascript). Secondly when the UI is ready and new features were added now the translation of these new features takes a lot of time (many weeks in some cases - simply because they depend on the translators) in our setup new features come with basic translation in all supported languages from minute one of release (ready to be improved upon by humans).  Not being limited by time consuming tasks such as UI development or translations will allow us to roll out new features much and much faster.

id-entti-tentti #79 on: February 25, 2015, 11:50:54 PM

• Senior Fimker
    • View Profile
That's why I suggested informing a user speaking another language and getting first experience of this software in another language about the status of the translation. A program that fails high hopes and expectations and mostly miscommunicates in machine translation in it's human interface is a huge psychological turn-off for potential users and when people get disappointed, many of them share their disappointment with others.
FIM-K56K-6XHL-DWT8-ANWN9
NXT-73NA-CWA6-KHV5-65HPC

Dirk Diggler #80 on: March 31, 2015, 05:30:16 PM

• FIMK Staff
    • View Profile
    • Krypto Fin ry
Updated the mofowallet.com website which was somewhat outdated (still need to update the screenshots).
Fixed a long standing issue of not being able to use the mofowallet.com domain over ssl for the hosted wallet.

http://fimkchat.com/2015/03/mofowallet-gets-a-new-secure-home/

Zlotnik #81 on: April 11, 2015, 10:31:04 PM

• Fresh Fimker
    • View Profile
Translation.

There is one text-based game Cantr II (also with finnish language zone btw...) with that great concept where every new character you see is uknown for you with default name like "man in his twenties" which you can change when you get to know name of that character.

And my idea is a semiautomatic translation system where all english words are kind of interactive that you can click each one and change it's value into right word in your native language (or f.e. change default features names into one you like better) creating your own dictionary database by which client data is displayed (you would actually rebuild client to look like you want).

This way you need only english version of MOFOWallet and all the rest of work is done by it's users! :)

This was also my idea for a way to learn new languages where default english text would be right away translated using your actual knowledge (your dictionary or default native dictionary/translation choosen by you in client) and than you could click on words you doesn't know yet to get selection list of propositions or write your own word (propositions not by google database but by most popular transaltion options used by other client users).

Me dream is to see something like that working in reality.   

Dirk Diggler #82 on: April 13, 2015, 10:40:18 AM

• FIMK Staff
    • View Profile
    • Krypto Fin ry
Translation.

There is one text-based game Cantr II (also with finnish language zone btw...) with that great concept where every new character you see is uknown for you with default name like "man in his twenties" which you can change when you get to know name of that character.

And my idea is a semiautomatic translation system where all english words are kind of interactive that you can click each one and change it's value into right word in your native language (or f.e. change default features names into one you like better) creating your own dictionary database by which client data is displayed (you would actually rebuild client to look like you want).

This way you need only english version of MOFOWallet and all the rest of work is done by it's users! :)

This was also my idea for a way to learn new languages where default english text would be right away translated using your actual knowledge (your dictionary or default native dictionary/translation choosen by you in client) and than you could click on words you doesn't know yet to get selection list of propositions or write your own word (propositions not by google database but by most popular transaltion options used by other client users).

Me dream is to see something like that working in reality.

I've looked into making each piece of English text in the UI context aware (where you get a menu when you click it) and it even seems to be possible since each translated piece of text already has an Angular Translate binding connected to it. So it could be extended to provide this i figured. But at the same time a simpler and quicker method was the one i added yesterday which was just half a days work and seems to work. Added bonus to the current system is you can just sit down and do a whole bunch translations in one go

https://www.mofowallet.com/launch.html#/translation/en

Zlotnik #83 on: April 13, 2015, 10:24:54 PM

• Fresh Fimker
    • View Profile
That's completely understandable. Easiest and most effective way to accomplish goal is the best way. There will be time in future to upgrade basic now more needed features.

Thanks for taking my idea into account :) I think it's something what maybe could also fit to social zone/layer. I'll try to be first with polish translation :)

/edit
Just wanted to add one more thought about that words replacement idea. It would be interesting to let a bit of personalisation of MOFOW and to have option to create this way own aliases in place of FIMK notation of account addresses (or a small inscription under). It would be easier to remember nickname created by yourself for someone's account f.e. "That bloody FIMKonaire" instead of digital form of FIM-XXX-XXX-...-XXX. It would also let to easier find account you follow on any page like it is possible now with accounts with regular aliases.         
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:57:59 PM by Zlotnik »

Dirk Diggler #84 on: April 14, 2015, 12:05:30 AM

• FIMK Staff
    • View Profile
    • Krypto Fin ry
Just wanted to add one more thought about that words replacement idea. It would be interesting to let a bit of personalisation of MOFOW and to have option to create this way own aliases in place of FIMK notation of account addresses (or a small inscription under). It would be easier to remember nickname created by yourself for someone's account f.e. "That bloody FIMKonaire" instead of digital form of FIM-XXX-XXX-...-XXX. It would also let to easier find account you follow on any page like it is possible now with accounts with regular aliases.       

I agree that giving an account your own custom name is probably nicer than having to rely on the name given by the system.
But it's quite complicated to do right across the entire app, account names/ids are used in many places and for all places you'd have to somehow merge the "official" name with your new custom name.

As much as I like it to be like this, it might give comfort to apply this to all other places where "the system" is in charge of naming things. For instance: facebook, gmail, paypall, your online banking website.

How i would love to have all bills paid to the insurance company or the overcharging internet provider simply state "59,95 paid to greedy slow bad service providing scum bags." It would surely make the pain of the loss of funds a lot more bearable.

As for accounts being easier to find we are actually working on a complete overhaul to the way all accounts are named and referenced which is probably unique in the crypto scene as it has never been done before. Add to that the websocket instant lookup and soon we'll all just have to type one or two characters and simply select the recipient of our payments/messages from a dropdown list.

Hyo #85 on: April 15, 2015, 07:01:07 PM

• Fresh Fimker
    • View Profile
Guys please help me somebody , ,
i am still unable to get any interface to work on linux.

the Server version is probably still not made for people who don't know what server means. 
Though i can get it to run and downloaded the blockchain
when trying to get into the interface with http://localhost:7886, it just says unable to connect.

With Mofowallet i have the same issues as before and still wait for help. Can somebody please give it a try.
I get a little frustrated - why was it so easy to get into the interface with all the previous releases and now its so complicated?

If it is just about patience and waiting until the next release please let me know explicitly - so that i know it !
I just feel uncomfortable not to know.

anyway in good faith !  Its just a little cloud passing :)

Even if Forgpool would be operating i could not lease without getting into my account :)
funny situation - good i live on $1 a day :)

Polarpanda #86 on: April 15, 2015, 07:29:50 PM

• Fimker
    • View Profile
I also updated and couldn't figure out why the my local server was not working either.. And a long time later I remembered that you have to edit the file:

mofowallet.app/Contents/Resources/fim/conf/nxt-default.properties

find line with
nxt.enableAPIServer=false 

and change it to 
nxt.enableAPIServer=true

but I'm sure this is basic knowledge to everyone here..?

abctc #87 on: April 15, 2015, 08:53:43 PM

• Fresh Fimker
    • View Profile
nxt.enableAPIServer=true
- yes.

And if you made (as recommended) nxt.properties file earlier, check the nxt.apiResourceBase parameter, it must be html/fimk

Hyo #88 on: April 16, 2015, 06:16:26 AM

• Fresh Fimker
    • View Profile
Thank you a lot,
 so easy !
cloud passed - bright weather :)