Author Topic: Long Block Times  (Read 1122 times)

warmach on: March 21, 2016, 10:00:03 PM

• Senior Fimker
    • View Profile
What is going on with the network lately?

I post a transaction and my client and online Lompsa site both take forever to get a confirmation.  I routinely don't have new blocks for 500+ seconds.  What is the deal?  The network nodes arguing over which blocks are the correct ones?

Any one else see this?
Warmach's Forging Pool
http://fim.warmach.info/pool/
May the forge be with you...

Eliphaz Fimk #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:13:32 PM

• FIMKrypto coordinator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FIMKrypto
I routinely don't have new blocks for 500+ seconds.
What does "routinely" mean? 8-9 minutes for a block is not that unusual, especially if someone is bouncing forging power on and off.

bittimikko #2 on: March 21, 2016, 10:29:58 PM

• Fimker
    • View Profile
This month taken about 10 minutes, what I have followed

Dirk Diggler #3 on: March 22, 2016, 10:43:33 AM

• FIMK Staff
    • View Profile
    • Krypto Fin ry
There is a script that comes with FIMK which is called h2.sh, if you run that on the console it will give you a SQL prompt connected to the FIMK blockchain database. If you want to know exactly how many times and how long blocktimes have been that tool is your friend.

As for longer blocktimes, I guess it's just a hickup it's a decentralized network after all. Could have been a fork that had to be resolved, could have been an insanely high target (which happens randomly).

There are some upstream changes coming from NXT that somewhat improve blocktimes, not sure however how much they will improve FIMK's case since we already have shorter block times.

In short: I dont believe there is anything wrong, seems to be a random thing. Same goes for blocks that sometimes take 1 second.
FIMK Developer | GPG fingerprint: CEF2 7C39 43BE 6800 504E  71BC 7E87 A7B0 AC34 E2D5 | mofowallet.com | blog

warmach #4 on: March 22, 2016, 07:27:43 PM

• Senior Fimker
    • View Profile
What does "routinely" mean?

I have been doing some development over the last month involving blockchain messages.  I would create test messages on the network, but I would see several minutes go by before any of my three servers would see the transaction.  So for me, routinely has been several times a week for the past 4 - 6 weeks while doing some coding.

8-9 minutes for a block is not that unusual

I bring this up because it was my impression that FIMK had 30 second block times.  While with any proof of work/stake algorithm, there will be variation in block times, 8 minutes is drastically different that 30 seconds.  If 8-9 minutes is the norm, then we need to look at the way difficulty is adjusted.

especially if someone is bouncing forging power on and off.

Assuming 30 secon block time targets, if someone has the power to drastically alter block times with their forging power, that is something that at least needs discussed if not addressed in some way. 

Please don't take my comments as criticism.  Great work has been done by all involved.  I only wish to keep the network healthy.
Warmach's Forging Pool
http://fim.warmach.info/pool/
May the forge be with you...

Dirk Diggler #5 on: March 22, 2016, 09:12:01 PM

• FIMK Staff
    • View Profile
    • Krypto Fin ry
We have blocks on average every 30 seconds. Could mean 1 second could mean 10 minutes, unfortunately that's the case right now.
As said upstream changes will change things somewhat for the better.

As for relying on block generation times when you basically use the blockchain as a message bus, that is perhaps not the most effective way.

Have you ever tried working with unconfirmed transactions, can those help with what you are building?
These arrive almost instantly all over the network.
FIMK Developer | GPG fingerprint: CEF2 7C39 43BE 6800 504E  71BC 7E87 A7B0 AC34 E2D5 | mofowallet.com | blog