Author Topic: Forks?  (Read 2440 times)

iscy on: July 03, 2014, 08:03:35 PM

• Senior Fimker
    • View Profile
    • FIM Resources
There seems to be a fork somewhere on a public node. My wallet often falls out of sync into its own local fork and cleaning up the database just fix it temporary.

Also, the blockchain explorer shows pretty much always the same related accounts currently forging new blocks.
FIM-U8JD-ZXA3-F6UH-EE5ZX :: Public Node :: FIM Resources

Dirk Diggler #1 on: July 03, 2014, 08:37:02 PM

• FIMK Staff
    • View Profile
    • Krypto Fin ry
There seems to be a fork somewhere on a public node. My wallet often falls out of sync into its own local fork and cleaning up the database just fix it temporary.

I had our spider visit all the peers on the network and it seems all connected peers are on or around block 2856.
There is one peer that is on block 2850 it's ip starts with 198.23.*.*

Also, the blockchain explorer shows pretty much always the same related accounts currently forging new blocks.

There are not a lot of accounts forging at the moment once more people start forging you'll see more block generator accounts.
Now is the time to start forging btw.
FIMK Developer | GPG fingerprint: CEF2 7C39 43BE 6800 504E  71BC 7E87 A7B0 AC34 E2D5 | mofowallet.com | blog

iscy #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:35:27 PM

• Senior Fimker
    • View Profile
    • FIM Resources
Thanks for checking it. I've been forging since yesterday, but my wallet created quite a few local forks since this morning, which is why I asked here. Everything has been working correctly for the last two hours.

Dirk Diggler #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:43:00 PM

• FIMK Staff
    • View Profile
    • Krypto Fin ry
Thanks for checking it. I've been forging since yesterday, but my wallet created quite a few local forks since this morning, which is why I asked here. Everything has been working correctly for the last two hours.

Great! We're checking the network for forks constantly if we'll detect one we'll announce it and take action immediately.
We will either turn on the organization accounts for a short period (that will sort out most forks) or work together with community members like yourself to coordinate solving the forked state of the network.

That's all planned in advance ;) I'm happy to hear things are working correct now.
FIMK Developer | GPG fingerprint: CEF2 7C39 43BE 6800 504E  71BC 7E87 A7B0 AC34 E2D5 | mofowallet.com | blog

iscy #4 on: July 03, 2014, 11:09:46 PM

• Senior Fimker
    • View Profile
    • FIM Resources
I am currently running two nodes, one private (forging) and one public (not forging). The public node is at 108.163.133.69.

I'm planning to build some services on top of the public node, but I'm noticing that it's always 2 to 8 blocks behind the private node. My forging private node is now following perfectly the blockexplorer as well.

Is the network so loaded at the moment that it could explain that?

iscy #5 on: July 04, 2014, 06:27:19 AM

• Senior Fimker
    • View Profile
    • FIM Resources
I am currently running two nodes, one private (forging) and one public (not forging). The public node is at 108.163.133.69.

I'm planning to build some services on top of the public node, but I'm noticing that it's always 2 to 8 blocks behind the private node. My forging private node is now following perfectly the blockexplorer as well.

Is the network so loaded at the moment that it could explain that?

My issue was caused by a clock skew on the public node. It caused a latency on the blocks and I didn't get good stats while forging.

So, if anyone else has "issues" forging, check your clock..

Dirk Diggler #6 on: July 04, 2014, 08:57:38 AM

• FIMK Staff
    • View Profile
    • Krypto Fin ry
FYI the blockexplorer runs in the same data center as the bulk of our nodes which is probably why it has such a good connection to the network.
You are right that your clock affects if your client will start forging blocks. It uses the time it "thinks" it is and the time hardcoded in the last block to determine among other things if it's time to try and forge a new block.